Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Day 63: Colorado State Capitol, Lodo, and The Corssmits


Visited the State Capitol today and actually made it in time for a public tour.


Our tour guide was an elderly volunteer who was a little hard to hear but knew his state history. The inside of the capitol is filled with quilts for a local competition.


These are cannonballs from a decisive civil war battle in New Mexico that Grant gave to Colorado when they became a state.


After the tour I drove down to Larimer Square in Lower Downtown (LoDo) to wander around. I forgot to visit the bookstore that Katie recommended but did get a look at the 16th Street Pedestrian Mall, a revitalization effort that seemed similar (although perhaps not as successful) to River Walk in San Antonio.


I then visited the Corssmits for a lovely dinner. Gerrit was able to drop by for a little while as well as Maarten but I missed Peter and his family by a day. It was fun to catch up and particularly interesting to see what I recognized at their home because I think it has been 20 years since I was there last. Their backyard is very different because instead of an empty field now there is a housing development. Afterwards Katie took me out to a neighborhood bar and we had a grand old time.

Next: Bonus day in Denver

1 comment:

  1. If it's not too late- would you please let them know, that in 1983-84 I earned every $15 an hour they paid me for babysitting their 3 boys. Holy crap those guys were wild. Draining beer into the toilet then telling the folks I drank it, having 1 boy distract me whilst the other two rubbed hamster poo on my homework, to punching holes in the wall and telling the parents I threw them into it, to firecrackers in the oven.....I'm glad they are still alive and with four limbs.

    ReplyDelete