Friday, June 17, 2011

Day 53: More Museums and DC neighborhoods

Started my day at the Renwick Gallery of American Craft. It was right up my alley. There were ceramics and silver and glass, all of the mediums I like the best.


There was also large room filled with paintings in one of the oddest gallery arrangements I've ever seen.
Next I went back to the Museum of Natural History and checked out the Dino bones, stuffed mammals, more geology, and a human evolution exhibit with some awesome bust sculptures of what they think early humanoid species looked like (Neanderthals, Homo erectus, etc.)


I had a couple hours until closing time so I was able to mosey on over to the American History Museum. I saw Julia Child's kitchen, the ruby slippers from Wizard of Oz, the original muppets made by Jim Henson, the first ladys' inaugural gowns, some Stradivariuses, ephemera related to various American Presidencies, and this statue, which is the original Washington Monument. I think it's pretty hilarious because it makes him look like an Roman Emperor. The public at its early 1800s unveiling thought it was indecent because he's half naked.


Once I closed out the museums, Andrea met up with me and took me on a neighborhood tour on our way to dinner. The sunset was quite dramatic. We tried a fancy-ish Turkish restaurant called Meze. I got the expensive tasting menu because there was no way for me to decide what to get otherwise. After dinner we walked over to Dupont Circle and sat by the fountain for a while. The temperature was perfect and it's a nice place to just sit a watch. Now to decide what to do tomorrow...

Tomorrow: Eastern Market, National Cathedral, Georgetown maybe? and trying some local beers.

No comments:

Post a Comment