Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Day 57: St. Louis Art Museum and Blueberry Hill

Judy took me to the St. Louis Museum of Art today. It is under construction so the whole collection is abbreviated and jumbled up but I think it was a good thing, I got to see everything before completely tiring out.

Outside the main entrance.


Judy wanted to go there to see the special exhibition of the last remaining 1820s Mississippi River panorama, which is like an old timey powerpoint presentation. It is a giant scroll painting that would be rolled along one scene at a time. A doctor/amateur archeologist commissioned the panorama so we could present and narrate his work along the Mississippi as a traveling show. Until now it has been too fragile to show to the public but the museum decided to restore it and let the public watch them do it. In this photo they are in the process of lowering it down in order to move on to another section.

The museum really had a bit of everything, I especially enjoyed the early 20th century decorative arts. They also have a small collection of armor and weapons that were truly exquisite. I don't know if I've ever seen such ornate guns before. These are some examples of 16th century armor. They only weigh 40 pounds!After the museum we stopped by a landmark restaurant/concert venue called Blueberry Hill. I tried some fried raviolis (a regional specialty) and some Heileman's Old Style because one of my ancestors started that brewery so I thought I ought to try it. I liked it better than Pabst..


Back at home I got a chance to dip my toes in the pool and then had a lovely homemade dinner with Jim and Judy. It cooled down in the evening and was so pleasant we were able to eat outside!

Tomorrow: We shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment