Sunday, June 26, 2011

Day 62: Golden, CO and City Park in Denver

I was going to finish writing this post but Katie distracted me and now it is late. So in the meantime here are the photos:

UPDATE: Details now filled in.

Went out to brunch with Katie, Jake and two of their friends this morning to a nice place called Jelly. It reminded me a bit of Jam back in Portland.


After perusing a Denver tourism website I decided I wanted to visit the Coors brewery in Golden which is about 25 minutes outside Denver. I was ill prepared for what ended up being an hour long wait in the sun for the bus that takes you to the visitor's entrance. It probably wasn't worth the wait but I had committed so I did it any way. Once inside they give you a audio guide which was pretty corny and maybe self aggrandizing but I did learn a bit about the brewing process.


Most people were far more interested in the tasting room where you get about 20 oz. of beer for free. I tried the Honey Moon Summer Ale under the Blue Moon label. It was good, I'd buy it again in hot weather. They also had a test product called Batch 19 which was a pre-prohibition era recipe. It had a nice floral hoppy flavor without too much bitterness. It might be released nationally later this year. The last one I tried was the Colorado Native made with all Colorado ingredients. It was too hoppy for me, plus I still I had to drive back to Denver so I didn't drink very much.
I booked it back to Denver without poking around Golden very much to meet up with Katie and Jake at Domo, an unusual and delicious Japanese restaurant.


Then we drove over to City Park for Jazz in the Park. It is a free concert series that occurs every Sunday in the summer. As Katie explained, mostly it is an excuse to hang out in the park and barbeque things. Most people don't really pay attention to the performers. We certainly couldn't see them from where we were sitting.


Cory and Amelia got there when the concert started, about a hour before we did, so we joined then for the remainder of the event and then got some ice cream nearby at a place called Lik's afterward. I got some horchata pecan ice cream that was really tasty and refreshing. Once back at home I got into a really interesting conversation with Katie and ended up not having time to post!

Next: State Capitol and visiting with the Corssmits

No comments:

Post a Comment