Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Day 38: Presbytere Louisiana State Museum and French Quarter

Both Mom and I did not sleep very well last night because (unbeknownst to us at the time) our AC unit was on its way out. I had a hard time getting dressed after my shower because I couldn't stay dry! Our hotel room was probably around 90 to 95 degrees at that point. At least that is how it felt.

We're staying in the lower garden district so we hopped on the St. Charles street car which takes you straight to Bourbon Street. I thought a street full of bars, strip clubs, and souvenir shops all steeped in the smell of vomit was the perfect place to take my mother so we started there and eventually sauntered down to Jackson Square (which is much lovelier).


The building to the right of the Church at Jackson Square is called The Presbytere and houses the Louisiana State Museum. We decided to check it out (and get out of the heat!). The top floor houses a permanent exhibit on the history of Mardi Gras and the ground floor had an elaborate exhibit on Katrina. This is a photo of an installation piece that hangs from the ceiling in the lobby. I assume it is in relation to Katrina.


After the Museum I dragged Mom over to the Cafe Du Monde for iced coffee and, more importantly, beignets (A French square shaped donut). Because of the sweltering heat there was no line! We then wandered around the French Quarter looking at architecture. I thought this place had a particularly lovely balcony.


It was getting around cocktail time so we stopped at the House of Blues for a drink and some gumbo. There weren't any performers there but at least I got to see the inside of the place. Afterwards we checked out Harrah's (no luck) before getting back to the hotel to change for dinner. We bought a number of Groupons for our trip and we used one tonight at a fancy restaurant called The Flaming Torch. It was fancy French food with a little local flavor. Mom raved about the sweetbreads, my duck was fabulous.


I'm glad mentioned something to the front desk about out AC because they said it was busted and they moved us to a new room with a brand new unit. Hallelujah! The hotel was definitely funky. We have a loft area for the second bed which makes it far enough away that Mom's snoring doesn't bother me!

6/2/11

No comments:

Post a Comment