Thursday, June 16, 2011

Day 51: Raleigh to DC

I had a couple hours in Raleigh to see what I could so I parked downtown by the State Capital wandered until my parking meter ran out.

This is the to top of a war memorial that is next to the Capital. There was some sort of rally or special event going next to the legislative building so there was quite crowd and news vans all around.


Right next to the Capital area there are some historic mansions. I only saw one street's worth but I have a feeling there are plenty more.


This historic cemetery was quite the sight, almost every tree had been knocked down and branches were strewn about from a recent storm
.
I was told I should try some North Carolina style BBQ while I was in town so I went to a place called The Pit for chopped BBQ. I liked the vinegary style but wasn't fond of the red chili flakes. The hush puppies were great though, they tasted a lot like Funyuns.


After a 5 hour drive I arrived in DC right as Andrea's kickball team finished up and so we met at the post game bar. I was a little zoned from the drive (I had literally just arrived in town) and took a while to recuperate (dinner helped too) but eventually was able to socialize and enjoy myself. It was very helpful that everyone Andrea knew was wearing the same color shirt so I could always find them right away in a crowd. The team is an Oregon Duck Alumni team so it was fun to meet some east coast ducks.

Next: Smithsonian!

No comments:

Post a Comment