Friday, June 10, 2011

Day 46: Siesta Key

I amazed myself today and got up at 7:30am (That's 4:30am pacific time folks!) and was ready just in time to join Merrill and Liz for breakfast at Wings & Weenies. It's their normal Friday morning spot. Soon after I headed out solo to Siesta Key for a swim. Apparently it was recently voted the best beach in America. I can see why:

The water was perfect, not too warm or cold, and the sand is bright white and powder fine. My sunglasses weren't strong enough to protect my eyes from the brightness of the sand. I had to look at the sky to stop squinting! I endurance bobbed for an hour or two. Even with sunscreen I managed to get burned to a crisp. I'm really hating my bra straps right now.


The sand is very uniform everywhere except for where the waves break, it is all crushed seashells there.
Like butter. Like a big stick of butter.

Once I returned we all went out to Sweet Tomatoes for some sweet salad action and upon returning home I convinced Grampie to show some slides from their 1964 road trip to Wyoming and Utah. This is as they're packing up the Dart station wagon to leave (Rick, Lois, Dave, Carol).


I think those are the Grand Tetons in the background (Doug, Rick, Carol, Lois, Dave). Grampie couldn't remember when Dad joined them, he was at Maine Maritime when they left Bloomfield (Dad, do you recall?). We only made it halfway through the slides before bedtime so I didn't get to see Utah but I really enjoyed what I saw.

Tomorrow: driving to Savannah.

No comments:

Post a Comment