Sunday, June 12, 2011

Day 48: Walking around Savannah

Checked out of the Days Inn this morning and checked into The Planters Inn in the historic downtown of Savannah. It's a swanky place I hotwired as a treat for myself because there are few good budget options around here.

This is the lobby. It's the first place I've stayed at that has a doorman/bell boy. And the ice water had cut strawberries in it.


I walked all over the place today, this is in Forsythe Park, on the south end of the downtown area. It turns out my hotel is closer to the business area and touristy stuff, the mansions and stately residential stuff is on the south end. Practically every other street corner is picture perfect.

As the couple I met in San Antonio warned me, everytime I saw a cool historic looking building I discovered that it is owned by the Savannah College of Art and Design.


I went to The Olde Pink House Restaurant for dinner. It is right next door to my hotel and apparently I can order anything from there through hotel room service. This was my "BLT" salad with fried green tomatoes, bacon, and buttermilk dressing. I had their signature entree, the fried whole flounder with an apricotsweet chili glaze. Yum.
I needed to walk off the meal so afterwards I stepped over to River Street which I accidentally drove down when I first got into town. I wouldn't recommend driving, it's paved with some of the wonkiest cobblestones I've seen in the US. It looks like they took the original dockside buildings and warehouses and turned it into a tourist destination full of bars, restaurants, souvenir shops, candy stores, and tour bus depots. Right after it got dark I saw a hearse with seats nailed on top of it carrying tourists on a Haunted Savannah tour. After buying some pralines I decided to turn in a little early.

Tomorrow: A trolley tour, SCAD galleries, and maybe Tybee Island

No comments:

Post a Comment