Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Day 58: Central West End, Clayton, and Ted Drewes

I'm was not running on all gears today, I think I might just need a break from sightseeing or driving. So I didn't get very much done today. I asked Jim and Judy to point me in the direction of an historic or interesting neighborhood to walk around and they gave me directions to the Central West End. I walked along Euclid Street and stopped at the neighborhood bookstore, Left Bank Books for a while. Then I stumbled upon the St. Louis Cathedral Basilica.

I did not recognize it from the outside but once inside I recalled seeing the epic mosaics last time I was in St. Louis. Judy told me it took the craftsmen 3 generations to finish tiling the interior. That sounds about right, it is floor to ceiling mosaics all around.


Then I stopped in Clayton on Wydown Street to see the old houses. There were so many distinctly German houses and all of them incorporated brick.


After dinner Jim remembered that I must visit Ted Drewes before leaving St. Louis. It is local fixture that you are supposed to eat while sitting on the hood of your car. They serve a soft ice cream like substance and concretes which are like blizzards or milkshakes except you can turn them upside down and not risk losing anything. I tried the brownie concrete. It was very large so I now have a delicious stomach ache.


Apparently this is what it looks like when it isn't very busy. We actually weren't in line long, the servers are very efficient.

Tomorrow: Driving towards Denver, most likely stopping in Salina, Kansas.

No comments:

Post a Comment