Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Day 44: Panama City Beach to Sarasota

I must apologize for the long absence but I've recently been in the vortex known as "New Orleans". My mother joined me there for a 6 day visit which was jam packed with many exciting activities, of which I will fill in the details as time allows.

I stayed the night in Panama City Beach, which aside from the Van Halen song I knew very little about except that it is a spring break beach town.


I had a long drive ahead of me today so I only got to spend 20 minutes on the beach. The water was the perfect temperature and I was very sad I didn't have time for a swim (only got my feet wet).
The sand is a beautiful uniform white but not as soft and powdery as the stuff near Sarasota. I've decided I need at least a day of beach time while I'm there. The water was crystal clear but greenish rather than blue.


My GPS is a bit old and sometimes takes me on scenic routes like this country road about halfway down the state of Florida.


On my way down I encountered a 10 mile or so stretch of highway that was covered in smoke. I assume there was a brush fire or something.

After 10 hours on the road I have safely arrived in Sarasota, FL where Grampie and Liz live. This is a photo of my dad on the left (see any resemblance?) and his two younger brothers.

Tomorrow: Time for an oil change (5400 driven miles so far!) and seeing where the day takes me.

No comments:

Post a Comment