Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Day 35: Texas State History Museum and The Alamo Drafthouse

Started out the day with the intention of seeing the University campus but decided to go to the history museum instead.

The museum is right next to the University, however, so I saw a little bit of it on the way over.


My head is covering it but there is a ridiculous set of mer-horse states in the fountain.


They only allowed photos in the lobby of the museum, but it was a very well put together place. And massive. I only made it through 2 of 3 floors, so I'm still a bit fuzzy on 20th and 21st century Texas History. The museum also had an incredibly cheesy interactive theater with shaking seats, wind, fog, ect. It was worth the $3.00 just for the laughs. After the Museum we went to Takoba for some fancy Mexican food. I had slow cooked pork shoulder tacos, they were fantastic.


We had some time to kill so we went to the Congress Street Bridge to see the 750,000 bats fly out at sunset. It is an event that draws nightly crowds and there definitely were a ton of bats. It was very hard to get a picture of them.

And finally, I made it to The Alamo Drafthouse Cinema, regarded as one of the coolest movie theaters in the US. Every week they have special screening of old movies, sing-alongs, quote-along and more but there weren't any happening while I'm in town so we saw The Hangover Part 2 instead. I liked the place a lot although I think the menu is almost too big, I had a really hard time deciding what to get!

Tomorrow: Franklin BBQ, Campus Tour, and maybe some beer tasting.

No comments:

Post a Comment