Thursday, May 5, 2011

Day 10: Hearst Castle and San Luis Obispo

I thought I did well this morning, I was only 5 minutes late for my tour. Unfortunately I missed the bus, but fortunately they just moved me to the 10:20 tour. So that was nice. It was a lovely tour, just way too quick and structured for my liking. I wish the antiquities that are built into the house had museum labels because without the tour guide you wouldn
't be able to tell the difference between the modern concrete and the 500 year old statues. I took a million photos while I was there, I'll put those up somewhere else eventually.


The Neptune Pool is probably the most photographed part of the castle. It actually looks a lot smaller in person for some reason. One of the real highlights for me was meeting a couple from Wales during the tour who are also driving their way through California but in the opposite direction. I have a feeling I'll run into them again as we'll be in Vegas and the Grand Canyon at the same time. They also told me I should visit them if I'm in the UK so that's awesome.


Just a couple miles north of the Hearst Castle is an Elephant Seal viewpoint. They were noisy and smelly but still cute.


I briefly visited the Mission in San Luis Obispo. It's not very ornate, just really old. From 1772 in fact (although not much is original anymore). I had a nice charmed visit in SLO, I found a meter with 2 hours still on it and stumbled upon a weekly evening farmers market:

I had my heart set on some fish tacos for my cinco de mayo dinner and found some terribly fancy ones at a place called Ciopinot (see what they did there?). Another place nearby had a 7 or 8 man mariachi band playing so I felt like I got the atomsphere I was looking for. I was too enticed by it all and ended up driving for a couple hours in the dark again. At least I don't know what I was missing.

Tomorrow: Taking it easy (hopefully) in Santa Barbara then onto LA through along Mulholland Highway (if time allows).

No comments:

Post a Comment