Friday, May 6, 2011

Day 11: Santa Barbara


Awoke to -gasp!- gray skies in SoCal! It was a pleasant break from the heat but didn't stick around after noon.
I'm glad I looked at a tourist magazine at the hotel because it had a historical walking tour map that led to several interesting pieces of architecture such as the courthouse above.


I got a kick out of how these beautiful old buildings were being used. This one housed an especially ornate Old Navy.


I stopped by this chain jewelry store called 'So Good', whose rhinestone encrusted walls looked like they went on into infinity, and did my first bit of frivolous spending. I got a giant red rhinestone flower ring and sparkly headband for $15.

I didn't hit the road until late in the day so I had to abbreviate my foray onto the Mulholland Highway. It is indeed very steep and twisty but the views are almost worth it. I paid dearly for photos like this, as I was heading back to my car I randomly lost my footing and fell hard, camera flying through the air, onto my right side. I think I'll have some dramatic bruises tomorrow. At least my camera seems fine. I didn't stop to get any photos but the scenery on highway 1 from Ventura to Santa Monica is lovely.

Tomorrow: Taking it easy, getting my salty car washed, the MOCA and/or a walking tour of downtown LA.

No comments:

Post a Comment