Monday, May 30, 2011

Day 34: The Texas State Capitol

Had my latest start so far this morning but luckily I have very loose plans while I'm in Austin. Fortunately I happened to catch Tracy while she has a little time off so she has been able to chauffeur me around everywhere. We went to the capitol in the hopes to catch a tour but where a little too late. The Visitors Center actually had a ton to see though so it work out ok. I learned quite bit.

The capitol dome during daylight. They pinkish-brown color is from the Texas granite used in the construction.

The dome is the tallest capitol dome in the country, a few feet taller than the one in DC.


The five seals represent the flags of other countries that have had a presence in Texas (Spain, US, Mexico, France, and The Confederacy).


While we were there they draped black cloth over Bill Clements' portraits (he was governor twice) to honor his passing, we correctly assumed.

Afterwards we went to Maudie's for the tastiest Tex-Mex that I've ever had. Which is not a huge achievement on the restaurant's part, I've just grown up with Big Red's wretched food.

Next: Bob Bullock Texas State History Museum

No comments:

Post a Comment