Friday, May 13, 2011

Day 17: Errands and Balboa Park

I started out the day running some errands, like getting a copy of Eveline's key made, and then drove to Balboa Park. Then I noticed that the little door to where I fill the car with gas was open. I checked it out and realized I had forgotten to put the gas cap back on or even close the door waay back in Newport Beach when I filled up (I had a feeling at the time this might happen soon). So I had driven about 100 miles with no gas cap. I decided I should get that taken care of, so I called AAA and asked them for the nearest car part store (because I was not internet connected at the time). Turns out there is an Auto Zone near the park and they had my model in stock so that was that. Crisis(?) averted. Back to the park:


The park is filled with all kinds of photogenic architecture. That's the botanical garden building in the background. I spent a good three or four hours just wandering the grounds looking at everything, I didn't actually visit any of the handful of museums.


This is the California Tower which is the centerpiece of the complex. It houses the Museum of Man.

Some giggle-worthy architectural detailing.


There are also several gardens, this was a cool plant in the desert garden.


Once Eveline got back from the lab we went out to Tre Porcellini, a place I had bought a groupon for. It was very delicious and not too crazy expensive (even without the groupon). Back at home we broke into the white wine I bought for myself in Napa, it was just as good as in the tasting room!

Tomorrow (well, technically today because I'm a day behind with this post): San Diego Zoo

No comments:

Post a Comment