Sunday, May 8, 2011

Day 13: Getty Center and Arclight Theaters


The Getty Malibu Villa, which houses Greek and Roman antiquities, requires reservation which I did was not able to get so we went to the Getty Center instead. Brandi drove - it was nice not having to drive today! It is a rather large complex with seven buildings full of mostly European art from the 12th to the 19th centuries. It was a lot like the Legion of Honor except bigger and with more views. And a garden/installation piece:


The garden was a little like a labyrinth except not confusing, just limited pathways. It also had many flowers I've never seen before.


You can see the people on the labyrinthine pathway here as well as the ingenious bougainvillea trellises made out of rebar.


I enjoyed how many different viewpoints the whole place had, every building had several terraces so there wasn't just one view.


Due to less than average traffic we made it to the movie theater with time to spare so we popped into Amoeba Music which is the largest music store I've ever seen. We saw Thor (in 2D!) at the Arclight in Hollywood. It is a great theater, you can buy your ticket online and reserve specific seats which are very comfortable. And they have a strict no talking and no cell phone rule so you wont be distracted. Oh, but the ticket is $16.00. I bought some crazy expensive carmel corn that I immediately dropped and lost most of which made me very sad. But it was probably the universe telling me I didn't need to eat it I guess... Anyway, the movie was ok, about on par with Iron Man 2 maybe? I always derive enjoyment out of Marvel movies but I was not blown away by it.

I finally got to try some Taco Truck tacos for dinner tonight, that hit the spot. And the price was right ($1 per taco). So I can check that off my list.

Tomorrow: Venice beach and Santa Monica. And perhaps The Museum of Jurassic Technology if my day hasn't been weird enough yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment