Sunday, May 8, 2011

Day 12: Art in the Streets at the MOCA

Woke up around 11 and took my sweet time getting going today, it was nice. I took the 45 min bus ride into downtown and went to the MOCA to see the Art in the Streets exhibit which is apparently the first of its kind (devoted exclusively to graffiti art).


There were a number of tagged vehicles parked outside the building like this one. There was quite a line, it took about 30 minutes to get in.


As I was walking past this piece, which was one of my favorites, I had my first star sighting (didn't get a photo): John Krasinski or Jim from The Office.


Most of the pieces were either installations done on site by the artist, like the one above, or photos of stuff that probably doesn't exist anymore. Except for Banksy and Shepard Fairey. They had several "proper" painting and sculptures.


The Banksys were my favorite because they were very sarcastic and often witty. The bit written below the red lettering says "to the nearest art dealer".


I especially enjoyed his artist statement and material description (click on the image to enlarge it so it's legible) for his painting "I Hate Mondays":


It took me about 2 hours go get home because the buses were running detour routes downtown so it was not easy to determine were to catch your bus. After an unintended walking tour of downtown I ended up in a pretty sketch area right after it got dark but managed to make it home in one piece. Brandi and Phillipe were kind enough to wait until I got back around 9 to get dinner so we all went to a place call Father's Office to get a delicious burger with a hefty side of pretension. But it was still tasty. They also offered beers that ranged in price from 8$ to 25$ a bottle. I passed but am still curious what was so special about them...

Tomorrow: Getty Center? -the Villa is sold out :(- and THOR at the Arclight theater!

No comments:

Post a Comment