Monday, May 30, 2011

Day 33: Arriving in Austin

Before leaving San Antonio I got a hot stone massage using a groupon. I liked the hot stone part, it was nice and relaxing. I had accidentally parked in a spot reserved for a Colombian restaurant (called Fruty Coma) next door while there and felt guilty so I had lunch there and tried Arepas. I still don't really know what they are but it seemed like fried cream of wheat with cheese in the middle. When I left town it was 101 degrees out. Once I got into Austin and settled I just laid low for a while to avoid the heat.


After a nap and once it had cooled down a bit Tracy and I went to see Davide at work at a hip hop bar called The Bayou on 6th street. As it was a holiday weekend there was not much parking so we parked by the capitol and walked over to 6th street.


Here he is at work. I tried to get a photo of him spitting fire (a thing he does when you order a flaming Dr. Pepper) but it's hard to get the timing right to capture it.


After that Tracy and I met up with a few of her friends and walked through 6th, which is wall to wall bars and amazingly crowded late at night. We settled on a place in the warehouse district called Frank's. I stayed up a lot later than I thought I would that night!

Next: The Capitol

No comments:

Post a Comment