Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Day 15: Griffith Park and Beverly Hills

Started the day off at Griffith Observatory which, unfortunately, is closed on Tuesdays. But the view is still worth the visit. There were no hiking maps to be seen so I chose the closest path I could find that went uphill (so my hike back would be downhill). I was rewarded by some amazing views:

This lookout had about a 200 degree view of the area, basically everything south of the Hollywood Sign (which I did not end up hiking to).


I made it all the way to a place called Dante's View which had views of Downtown as well as a bit of the San Fernando Valley/Burbank? I'm still a little fuzzy on the geography of the area...


After the hike I moved on to Beverly Hills via Hollywood and did some drive-by sightseeing of the landmarks as well as a little bit of the fancy houses on the hill (I have a feeling I just saw the modest sized places though). Then I parked near Rodeo Drive and stopped at Coupa Cafe to try their appetizer sampler. It was several mini versions of their Venezuelan specialties. It was a lot of fried dough and cheese, which you really can't go wrong with.

After dinner I wandered through Rodeo Drive which had closed up at 5, so the people watching was limited. But on the walk back to my car I did get to see some funky mini-mansions like the one above. I liked how each street was thickly lined by one type of tree. One street was all magnolias, another with palm trees, etc.

Once I got home I joined Brandi for dinner (my second!) at Tender Greens, which was a pretty neat cafe. For $5.00 I ended up with a massive salad which nicely balanced out all the fried food from earlier.

Tomorrow: On to San Diego!

1 comment:

  1. "I can't believe you ate the whole thing! And too bad the observatory was closed." -Says Dad (He couldn't find an account to post with.) LA seems fun, I think you should take me for a tour sometime!

    ReplyDelete