Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Day 65: Denver to Rawlins, WY

I decided rather than driving across the Colorado Rockies and through the middle of Utah (which is breathtakingly beautiful but unfortunately stinkin' hot this time of year) on I-70 I would instead drive north though Fort Collins on scenic 287 to Laramie, WY. Then I can take I-80 across Wyoming to Salt Lake City. I assessed from the internet that Rawlins, WY would be a good halfway point that has enough hotels I might have some options.


I stopped to take some photos of cool looking rocks right around the Colorado/Wyoming border.


Highway 287 was scenic but I kept getting caught in torrential downpours so I wasn't able to rubberneck as much as I would have liked to.


I stopped for lunch in Laramie at Sweet Melissa's, a vegetarian restaurant. I had what was essentially a cheese steak with portabella mushrooms instead of beef. It was very filling.

I got into Rawlins around 7:30pm and the first two hotels I stopped at were sold out. I found a Comfort Inn with vacancies but ended up paying $116 for one night. I thought that was a little steep but what else are you going to do when you're in the middle of nowhere?

Next: Onward to Salt Lake City

No comments:

Post a Comment