Monday, April 9, 2012

Further discoveries in Ljubljana

The day before classes started I ventured to Tivoli park which I had been staring at out of my hostel window all week. It was a nice break from the city and I think I only managed to see less than a quarter of it in a couple hours. It'll be even nicer once the leaves fill in.


The graffiti is probably the first thing I noticed when I visited the center of the city. I'm so used to it being quickly covered up in the US that I was struck by how much there is here. But one of the travelers in the hostel remarked they love the graffiti here because it's so cute and optimistic compared to other cities they'd visited.


I was not particularly impressed until I happened upon on a skate park with some really good stuff.
I walked over the Dragon Bridge again today and thought I should get a picture of the light fixtures too.


The Parliament building is very Yugoslavian in architecture but the front entrance is graced with stacks of naked bronze people.


The waterfront is lit up and beautiful at night.


Another view of Preseren Square and the triple bridge, the center of the city.



The old town which forms a crescent around the castle hill is pedestrian only and consists of just two streets like this one. It's small but very cute.


Ah, finally some makeup. We students were invited to be wallflowers (and clean some brushes) at the backstage makeup area for Slovenian Fashion Week. It was crowded and full of models. Many of the makeup artists seen here are MUD Alumni from last year. I felt like a fish out of water because I know so little about fashion but at the very least it was a fascinating anthropological experience. And the male models were easy on the eyes.

Next: Photos of the school perhaps?

No comments:

Post a Comment