Friday, April 27, 2012

Florence, Italy Day 1, Part the Second

One of my favorite things that I stumbled upon on day one was this outdoor gallery next too the Gallery Uffuzi (where Michelangelo's David resides) and the city hall.

For a sculpture with the word rape in the title (The Rape of the Sabine Women), I thought this was pretty amazing.


I was also taken with these feet. Amazing stuff.


There were several ancient roman sculptures along the back wall. The bird is real, not marble.
Raise the roof Mercury.
Here's one of the outdoor Davids, this one is in front of the city hall.

I found a smaller church that was originally a merchant's guild market, then turned into a church. It was a nice place to escape the rain, other tourists, and sit down for a bit. Church pews are the only free place to sit in Italy. Restaurants and cafes charge a seating fee, and there are no benches anywhere. There was a no photography sign but I sneaked one photo.
Back at the Duomo I decided to take a couple detail photos because the facade is so intricate.

One tiny part of the Cathedral door. Back at the 4 start hotel I was treated to the previous guest's child's artwork all over the wall.

No comments:

Post a Comment