Monday, March 26, 2012

All Around Town

Here are some snippets of things I've seen around town while getting lost, finding dinner, going on a city tour, etc.


A nice plaza along the river. You can see the castle watchtower in the distance.

They day after I toured the castle I hiked the grounds surrounding it. The views were even nicer than from inside the castle. I might have overdone it walking the first day because my legs were pretty sore until yesterday. I think I broke through some kind of barrier where my legs just don't care anymore. It's nice.

There are several bridges along the river, each with their own story. This is the Butcher's Bridge (so called because of it's proximity to the meat market) which was completed in 2010. Couples leave engraved padlocks and throw the key into the river to symbolize their commitment. Some use combination locks just in case things don't work out...


One particularly nice building detail. The city was destroyed by a fire in the late 1800s and rebuilt in mostly art nouveau style by Joze Plecnik, the city architect. Except for the obviously Yugoslavian buildings.


I thought this view from the castle grounds looked particularly like Portland.


I visited the Sunday flea market on the waterfront. It's rather interesting to see what local garage sales would consist of. There was a lot of china, lighting fixtures, books, and military paraphernalia (including Nazi stuff... that surprised me) and folk crafts.


A better view of he castle entrance and what used to be a bridge over the moat.

This is one of four bronzes on the aptly named Dragon Bridge.

I found a coffee shop on a floating platform on the river that provided the best photo opportunities of the river so far. I can't wait for the foliage to all fill in, most of the trees in town are deciduous so it doesn't feel very green yet.

Next: Tivoli Park?

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jane! It's much bigger than I first thought - what is the population? Pics of where you are staying?

    ReplyDelete