Friday, April 29, 2011

Day 4: The Redwoods


Started the day off right in Arcata at Renata's Crepes. It was a mushroom, prosciutto and jack cheese crepe, very good. The jack cheese came form this factory, which I visited in Loleta:

The cheese was pretty standard Tillamook quality but I always have to get me some curds when I get the chance.



Ah yes, the Avenue of the Giants. The visitors center is pretty much the last stop from the direction I was going so I had to do a bit of doubling back to find the trails I wanted to hike. I didn't get to see as much as I wanted to but I kind of expected that outcome before getting there.


It's pretty much impossible to accurately capture the scale of the trees. While I was impressed by the height, none seemed as wide as I was expecting. Have we killed all of the house-width trees already?
I shelled out $5.00 for a tourist trap drive-thru tree in Leggett (I counted at least 2 other places that offer one along the way) but chickened out and didn't drive though. It just didn't seem wide enough for my car. However, A mini cooper managed to fit through after I got there.

Had to skip Fort Bragg and Mendocino to get to Ukiah at a decent time, but I enjoyed the drive on 101, the hills are very beautiful and green and the grapevines are just starting to grow back.

Tomorrow: Anderson Valley (briefly), Napa, Sonoma, another cheese factory that specializes in Roquefort and Brie, and Oakland.

No comments:

Post a Comment